Canard Aviation Forum  

Go Back   Canard Aviation Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > PreBuild Planning and ACTIONS > Plane Day
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2015, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Velocity 17010 Progress?

IAW = In Accordance With

TCM's SID is now up to change F
http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/SID97-3F.pdf
I would be more than happy to come and set up your fuel injection for expenses but I'm sure there is someone local that can help for less $$$.
Feel free to PM me with questions.
How are you planning to handle the return fuel from the fuel injection system? I have opinions molded from experience.
Terry
Cessna 172
B55 Baron
Old 06-29-2015, 10:15 AM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarber View Post
Oh, BTW.....Where is everyone?!?!
Still here and still working. Obviously I won't have the Velocity at Oshkosh. Still sorting some things out and need to get my seats back from the upholstery shop.
EAA #390365
Got Foam?
Mann's Airplane Factory
We add rocket's to everything!
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 13, 14, 19, 20 DONE
Old 06-29-2015, 10:19 AM

Terry,

I may take you up on your offer but I am still learning and do have a few folks down here who are pretty well versed. Hell, some really are rocket scientist...hope it does not take that level of insight..........

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution"

Abraham Lincoln

Who is John Galt?
Old 07-01-2015, 01:50 AM

Quote:
I'll have to look at ways to further triangulate......All "heads up" welcome.
Here might be a couple of suggestions based on what you're already got. IMO this would strengthen things up considerably.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barber Mount. 2jpg.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	7574  Click image for larger version

Name:	Barber Mount. 1jpg.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	7575  
Old 07-01-2015, 09:50 AM

...and if it were me, I'd probably end up with something like this:

(gray tubes are what you already have)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barber Mount. 3jpg.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	7576  
Old 07-01-2015, 10:05 AM

Marc,

Thanks, this is exactly what I like to see. I have mostly duplicated the mount I was using for the rotary. The rotary mount was reportedly patterned after the mount Velocity provides for the Franklin and has no more bracing than what I currently have. That being said the Continental is heavier than the base rotary. I will need to put the engine back on to try to predict potential interference issues.

Thank you for your time.

Any other opinions out there????? C'mon, I know this group has opinions

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution"

Abraham Lincoln

Who is John Galt?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:56 AM

Chris,
The attached photo is from the Velocity website, and it shows a Velocity engine mount for a larger Continental engine. If you look closely, you can see this mount is four large triangles and several smaller ones. The firewall is an integral part of two of the triangles. Can Velocity provide a mount like this for your plane / engine combination?

I took metal shop for two years in high school.... and what I learned is that welding is a high paying job that requires a high level of skill (I am not a welder, but the class was awesome compared to study hall). The photos you attached do not allow us to see your welding skills, and I couldn't judge the skills no matter how close the photos are zoomed in. You REALLY need to have your welding skills appraised before you build an engine mount and go flying.

The Cozy airplane design has a built in tolerance for builder skill level (and the Velocity probably does too), but I don't think the engine mount falls into the same category. The plans tell us to buy the mount (along with the axles, the wheels, the engine, etc.).

I am not saying that you shouldn't or can't build your own mount.... but you better be sure you know what you're doing.

Andrew Anunson
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine_Install.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	7578  
Cozy MKIV #1273
Chapter 23
Old 07-01-2015, 01:39 PM

Yes, I have been viewing pictures from the Velocity website. Many of the pictures are in protected areas so not able to be viewed by the lay public. I include a few here as I am sure Velocity Inc does not mind such use.

I am tacking the mount and will likely take it to a pro to finish it up. My welding skill is very limited, however, in one of the quintessential books on home building, Tony Bingeles/Firewall Forward, states that the use of a professional is fine BUT, the average amateur should be able to make a suitable mount for their plane. Not advocating such, but it interesting commentary. I also have a few of mechanical engineers handy including my hangar mate and a few real live rocket scientist from NASA which is just down the street (a side note, Ellington Airport/EFD, just got designated one of ten US Spaceports......oh the joy).

Velocity, Inc does not provide a mount for the smaller Continental (TSIO-360).

That being said, I love the discussion and the insight of the Borg.....uh, I mean collective

My fiance' has been keeping me extremely distracted from the plane....not by design but she has much of my attention and always seems to have me doing some project or on a quick trip on my days off. I have had the opportunity to be in the hangar the last few days and have gotten more done than in the last four months......it feels SOOOOOO good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	md_7945458179M5F31_ENGINE-ON-MOUNT.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	7579  Click image for larger version

Name:	md_Z5WI534ZD8SIL0C_P7230344.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	7580  Click image for larger version

Name:	md_8KVEI9IZ86OMOY2_P7230346.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	7581  Click image for larger version

Name:	md_0WW530FZ1T6O71G_P7230352.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	7582  Click image for larger version

Name:	md_BIF17U36E39GQ03_P7230347.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	7583  

Abraham Lincoln

Who is John Galt?

Last edited by CBarber : 07-01-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Marc,

Thanks, this is exactly what I like to see. I have mostly duplicated the mount I was using for the rotary. The rotary mount was reportedly patterned after the mount Velocity provides for the Franklin and has no more bracing than what I currently have...Thank you for your time.
Dude - no offence: You got a good start, but there is no way I would fly that plane with that mount as it is now.

On hard landing that engine will weigh...what maybe 1500 lbs? Its gonna want to fold the aft end of that mount downward; the single small tubes at the bottom will be in compression, and want to buckle upwards between the fwd rubber mount and the firewall. You've got nothing to keep them from doing that.

The triangle is your friend....

EDIT: Then again...I tend to overbuild just about everything. But you at least need that second tube that runs to the lower mount from in front of the FWD rubber.

Last edited by Marc Oppelt : 07-01-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:25 PM

Dude , I agree. It's a work in progress and I really do appreciate the help....a lot.

Abraham Lincoln

Who is John Galt?
Old 07-01-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Oh, BTW.....Where is everyone?!?!
Flying

https://youtu.be/rv0vxXYKYPc

And building an RV

http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 07-01-2015, 11:53 PM

You built a whole plane, so you can weld your own mount with an acetylene torch. It's pretty simple, just takes some practice.

Here is one that would work, but you might need to get a size-00 tip:
http://www.harborfreight.com/oxygen-...kit-98958.html

Watch some welding videos on YouTube and EAA's site. Grab some mild steel tube from the local metal supply and practice. Muck around a while and you can figure it out. Gas welding aint rocket science...just takes practice. I got good enough at it when I was a kid to weld one of these mounts together.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:42 AM
N14ZG reserved

Quote:
.... My fiance' has been keeping me extremely distracted from the plane....
I noticed a few pix of her on Fake_Book ...

I tacked up all the tubes on my engine mount (Lyc. clone IO-375) with a TIG welder, took them to a real pro for final welding. I was out two and a half clams plus the finished Dynafocal ring from ACS. And 'several' hours for me to machine all the tube notches in a Bridgeport :-/

The Ark was built by an amateur, so were many canards before Owl Gore invented the internet.

Rick
Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; my canard at: http://cozy.zggtr.org/ My hobby at www.zggtr.org/
Build status: It flies! Airworthiness 10/7/2016.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZG4Me View Post
I noticed a few pix of her on Fake_Book ...

I tacked up all the tubes on my engine mount (Lyc. clone IO-375) with a TIG welder, took them to a real pro for final welding. I was out two and a half clams plus the finished Dynafocal ring from ACS. And 'several' hours for me to machine all the tube notches in a Bridgeport :-/

The Ark was built by an amateur, so were many canards before Owl Gore invented the internet.

Rick
^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

This is the best path to take. Make sure it is properly triangulated compared to others and the take it to a professional to make sure you have good penetration and the proper heat is applied to it. I would also have it annealed before installing it. You can't pull over and fix it if it breaks in a downdraft!
Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
~~~tg~~~
Old 07-02-2015, 09:53 AM

I have watched several hours of welding videos on YouTube (also on the EAA site but there are not as many). Also, I took the 16 hour gas welding course presented by EAA when it was in Houston in 2010. While by no means a pro, I got quite comfortable with it and had good welds by the end.

Most of the welding video's I watched was on MIG welding and I took two classes on that here in Houston over the last few months at a local industrial co-op (TX/RX Labs). I know gas and TIG are preferred for mounts, I have used the MIG to tack it up since.....well, its what I have. I have also played with the MIG quite a lot. I ran out of shielding gas and moved over to flux two days ago.....playing with that now.

No, I am not yet well versed in it, but, I am very pleased I have developed a much better understanding of whats involved. I like that I wont be as limited when I may choose to weld something down the road. Good welding is an art, but much of the mystery has been removed.

I know there will be naysayers, but, I may pull the trigger and do it myself. Not meaning to be arrogant, but I have built a plane. Acted as a test pilot for a plane using an alternative engine (even though am changing from the alternative thus need for the new mount). Put myself through school. Jumped out of an airplane. Dated in my 40's and 50's. Passed the Texas Bar exam. Been sworn before SCOTUS and now, not only carry a gun for a living, but am in charge of other folks who also carry a gun for a living. Welding is a nice addition and, like everything I have done to this plane, I monitor closely. Resume mode off.

........or not

Chris

Abraham Lincoln

Who is John Galt?

Last edited by CBarber : 07-02-2015 at 10:16 AM.