Canard Aviation Forum  

Go Back   Canard Aviation Forum > Finishes and Finishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Wine goes with everything

Default Different Epoxy for finishing

I was curious if anyone changed epoxy for the finishing of their airplane, for easier sanding and finish, I know different epoxys sand differently, most likely with different amounts of effort and charicteristics..... The stuff I am using from aircraft spruce is really strong, and I was thinking if a better finish epoxy was out there it might save me a lot of sanding.

Does anyone finish pieces as they go along, like get the canard all sanding and shaped before they put it on the plane ???

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do !
Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Cozy MKIV N85TT

Default Re: Different Epoxy for finishing

I used Alphapoxy, as recommended by Jeff Russell of AeroCad fame.
The reasons were:
1. Passes the "thumbnail" hardness test.
2. Sands easier than structural.
3. Cheaper than most other epoxies.
4. Ships non-hazardous.

It seemed to work well for me.
If you want to save even more money, get the 5 Gallon kit of Velocipoxy from Velocity. I've been told it's the exact same thing from the same company.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:54 PM
N14ZG reserved

Several (all?) use something like West for finish micro. It's a bit cheaper than MGS/Pro-Set, and 'they' say it sands better too.

As far as the canard, I did the Wayne Hicks Sled method. Fill and sand both top and botom to contour BEFORE you set the elevator hinges into the canard. It really is a pain to contour the bottom after the hinges are floxed in.

I'll update my website shortly. Chapter 10 is up, but no pictures of the sled process.

Rick
Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; my canard at: http://cozy.zggtr.org/ My hobby at www.zggtr.org/
Build status: It flies! Airworthiness 10/7/2016.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Wine goes with everything

Thank you so much for the information, the stuff I am using takes a lot of effort to sand, I would look like popeye if i did the entire plane in it.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do !
Old 12-08-2009, 01:36 PM
G.Norman

I used MGS for two reasons. The bonding properties and resistance to heat is higher than West so I thought, "less chance for cracking, etc. in extreme temp. changes where I live. The other is I have lots of it and I didn't have to wait for shipping and testing other epoxies. Well, MGS is like rock when hard, doesn't cheese grate well, and gums up a coarse sander at the "halfway" point of curing like sticky rice. During the "epoxy coating" filling the epoxy flows too much down the vertical surfaces.

I researched better finishing and ended up getting advice from an expert and professional painter. The man has finished several composite planes and has received awards for his work on planes and cars. He knows what he's talking about. He says GO WEST. End of story for me.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Rich

I used AEROPOXY LIGHT.

It is much like bondo, even looks like it, but is epoxy based. Good consistant mixes, blends with already hardened aeropoxy light without edges, hardens hard and shapes easily with 40grit paper.

For those of you who remember the old Advertisement,"makes housework almost nice"
Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Plane building junky

I used the West system on my Longeze. It was eze to sand and if you caught it right the cheese grater worked good. Also a plus a pretty white finish. It also has a fast hardner so in the summer you could put it on in the morning and sand that afternoon a go again. Much faster than waiting a whole day. I am using eze poxy on the airframe it is pretty rough sanding I am going to try some of the epoxy that Jerry Schnieder used Alpha poxy. I want to see how it sands and cures If I like it I will do the whole plane in it. I like the fact it is cheaper than everything else and no haz mat charges to mail. Steve building on
Plans #1466 on Chapt. 23 baffling
Old 12-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Buly

As a proud member of the lowest common denominator, I would go for the least expensive EPOXY with slow hardener for the fill/finish part.I bought epoxy from a boat supply wholesaler and it worked fine. 99% ends up on the floor anyway. Whatever you do, do not use any polyester/vinyl ester based materials. They are cheap and easy to work with, but you'll be very sorry later.
I even used epoxy based primers.

Bulent Aliev
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
http://tinyurl.com/2dl88bz
Old 12-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
As a proud member of the lowest common denominator, I would go for the least expensive EPOXY with slow hardener for the fill/finish part.I bought epoxy from a boat supply wholesaler and it worked fine. 99% ends up on the floor anyway. Whatever you do, do not use any polyester/vinyl ester based materials. They are cheap and easy to work with, but you'll be very sorry later.
I even used epoxy based primers.
Come to think of it, Buly,

aren't we all proud members of the lowest common denominator group. No embarrassment there, we are all there by definition.