Canard Aviation Forum  

Go Back   Canard Aviation Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Great Threads that can help plane builders, lurkers and fliers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2004, 06:08 PM
89% done 96% to go

Default Wire Cutting Foam is Dificult, NOT

Ok i surf the web and see statement on other planes web pages announcing, NO WIRE CUTTING NECESSARY. That statement really pisses me off. It implies that it is good no wire cutting is not involved because it is difficult.

Put quite simply, IT IS NOT.

Just like i mentioned in the quality of the plans, wire cutting goes in steps.

Step one, square Up the blocks you received. The blocks come and are not ready to use. You must square them up and this means allot of flat straight cuts. Wire lag is not a factor in a straight flat cut. As you make all of these squaring cuts you learn the volt setting and speed with which to make all cuts that go through that size of foam with that size of saw, you make two lengths of saws.

You then attach the templets and do the real cutting.

It is not a problem as you are now an experienced wire cutter and will make fantastic shapes, called airfoils.

I know, it must be harder than that, it is not. If it were there would not be thousands of rutan planes and derivatives flying. No one had experience, everyone learned in just this way. It is not an art, it is just a simple skill that you will have no trouble mastering. Can you count, can you hear your partner count, then one counts the position on the templet, one listens and follows. The cutting speed does not vary on the foam that you cut square just a few minutes before, it remains constant.

If you do not feel comfortable after the squaring cuts, carefully attach the templets and make more practice cuts with your partner on the scrap that you will be left with.

Does it take a long time, no, we cut all foam, including the squaring cuts for 4 main wings in a day. Start to finish. Did we blow it, yes, the dam vertical stabilizer is the hardest part, the one side goes a long way and the other side is very short, maybe 3 to one and it is hard to move as slow as you need to because the other side determines the cutting rate. There is no cutting pressure when you cut, if there is you are going too fast and stretching the wire causing wire lag. You will see this in the squaring cuts and will slow the cut down to stop the lag from occurring.

Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 06-21-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Wire Diameter

Earlier I strung my wire-saw with some fairly thin-diameter steel piano wire. I thought that going thin would allow me to get the wire hotter than the other thicker wire I had on. Turns out the thin wire snagged on the smallest template imperfection and even broke a number of times. I also figure the waviness I was experiencing in the cut pieces was caused by the temp being robbed from the wire as it cut, then the wire would stop till it heated up again, in cycles.

So this past weekend I finally managed to get some piano wire you could probably tow a car with and got a big surprise. It got just as hot as the thin stuff (with this power supply). The wire was free at this store where many of the pianos cost more than a new car.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:20 AM

I agree, it is not hard (maybe somewhat cumbersome). I did it at the EAA composite workshop in Dallas two years ago and it was fun. However, that being said, I really liked that it was all done on my Velo kit. The cuts were all perfect........hell, I need something to justify the extra $10k I spent on a kit

All the best,

Chris

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution"

Abraham Lincoln

Who is John Galt?
Old 06-22-2004, 06:49 PM
89% done 96% to go

The wire lag is not based on temp, it is based on stretch. The wire we use is really quite amazing, EVERY money cut you must retighten to max(pitch doesn't change when tightened more and then tapped to produce a note). I DEFINE A MONEY CUT AS ONE OVER A TEMPLET. sorry for the caps, the straight cuts are where you get your tempo and voltage down and in the beginning you should treat them all as MONEY cuts.

Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world