Canard Aviation Forum  

Go Back   Canard Aviation Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Great Threads that can help plane builders, lurkers and fliers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2004, 01:34 PM

Default Wheel Pants

I'd like to start installing my wheel pants but I'd like some help with the brackets. Anyone have some good installation photo's or know a good website to go to see how the brackets are built? Where do they connect on the pants themselves? How many bolts to hold them on? Do I need to disconnect the 4 (?) bolts holding the axles on and connect the brackets there?

Any help would be appreciated

Daryl Lueck
Cozy IV
N797DL
14 hours and climbing
Old 09-14-2004, 02:17 PM

Whose wheelpants do you have? Are they left and right halves or fore and aft halves?

I helped my Long-EZ friend install fore/aft pants he got from Klaus. We fabricated a bonnet from the gear leg that held the pants in place. He tapped the axle to hold the forward half on one side and used two of the axle bolts to hold the other side. The aft half was held to the forward half with screws. The benefits were rock solid attachment, no brackets, and you could remove the aft half easily to check tires, brakes, and air pressure.

The bonnet is 4-5 plies of BID going up the gear leg about 2 inches and overlapped onto the wheelpant by about 3-4 inches. We cut holes into the pants to first fit them to the gear leg. Then used box sealant tape over the top of the pant halves, then paid up the BID plies. After cure we removed the pants, trimmed up the bonnets, and widened the hole in each halve. Installed screws and nutplates. Went flying. :-)

I've attached a crude picture. Sorry, it's all I could do with the limitations of powerpoint. :-(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelpants.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	392  
Wayne Hicks, Cozy Plans #678
http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages...cks/index.html
Old 09-14-2004, 04:55 PM

Thanks Wayne. I got the pants for nothing, so the price was right. Now I need to get them on. I like this mounting.... no brackets.
Daryl
Old 09-17-2004, 08:38 AM
Just Bloody Good

Default Wheel pantys

Like the idea of the wheel pantys looks good.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: