Canard Aviation Forum  

Go Back   Canard Aviation Forum > Talk All About Canard Aviation > Great Threads that can help plane builders, lurkers and fliers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2004, 12:56 AM
89% done 96% to go

Default Pattern and templet routing

When we made our bulkheads, we made two of each and we made them carefully. As good as we could get. Because we made two, i could stack them and did for storage. Welllll they were not the same, they were diferent from each other and this bugged me. I know it shouldn't, but it did, i wanted them to be the same and the same left to right.

Welllll, my other hobby is making furniture, and in that i regularly make patterns for routing multiples or for just making one nice item, much better to screw up a 2 dollar scrap of luan ply or 5$ 3'4 birch ply than 8/4 maple for a chair leg.

I ran home to my woodworking shop, ok drove, it is 40 miles, bought a roll of tracing paper and set to work.

Tape prints together or not and trace item onto paper

spray adhesive onto pattern material, 1/4 ply or 3/4 ply as appropiat(normally 1/4 is good, luan is good and is 10 a sheet)

Use any tool you have to make the pattern nice, cut inside corners with a drill or a hole saw, outside corners with band saw, belt sander, etc, etc until you have as perfect a pattern as you can get.

MAKE the pattern for ONLY half the full size part, in other words, do not make a full instrument panel pattern, just make the half, per plans.

Lay this pattern on the appropiate foam and trace onto the foam. Draw a nice Centerline, and flip the pattern and trace the other side.(left and right sides, not top and bottom or political)

cut the foam about 1/2 inch oversized and get to glassin.

when fully cured, take a saber saw, band saw, whatever and cut 1/8th to 1/4 from the edge of the line that is under the glass, or put the pattern on and draw it again, on top of the glass, ifin it is too hard to see.

When you make this cut, stay away from the darn line, better 1/2 inch than into the line!

Now the fun part, attach the pattern to the layup with the thick double sided carpet tape or spring clamps, use a flush cut carbide router bit, the one with the bearing on the shaft, not the one with the bearing at the end of the cutter(thats for formica and we are NOT putting a kitchen in your bird) and trim 1/2 flush, flip the templet, matching up to the centerline again, you did that above without me telling you didn't you?, and cut again.

Be careful when you start and finish the cut to pull away before you run out of templet and to start where there is templet.

If it doesn't feel like it is going right, just pull the cutter away from the work and start the cut again.

The parts will be as perfect as can be and will almost appear laser cut

Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 05-22-2004, 01:32 AM
Administrator

I've assisted Dust while he was making the strake ribs. I have to say this method is very easy and makes great parts.

Here's Dust cutting a strake rib.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FG-019.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	289  
Chapter 9 and building

www.Cozy1200.com

1967 Skyhawk (flying)
Spam Can owner and epoxy maestro.
Don't be makin any fun of my flying chicken.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:37 AM
89% done 96% to go

That was just a little diferent use of the templet. that was adjusting the templet. The rib has a waterline on it and when placed in positiion, in the strake/fuel tank, the water line must be level.

We would place the rib and put a level line on the rib and then readjust the templet and route until level. Each time, just making small uniform cuts until we snuck up on LEVEL, life is good

Enjoy the build,njut av byggandet, godere il costruire, nyd bygningen, geniesse den Bau, apolafse tin kataskevi, disfrute la construcción, curta a construção, Pidä hauskaa rakentamisen parissa, bouw lekker,uživaj grade?inaslajdaites postroikoi, geniet die bou
dust

maker of wood, fiberglass, foam dust, metal bits and one day a Cozy will pop out and swiftly whisk me from meeting old friends and family to adventures throughout the world
Old 05-22-2004, 01:37 AM

Default Pattern and templet routing

[quote=Dust]When we made our bulkheads,

When I made my bulkheads, I used dressmaker's tracing paper, a spiked tracing wheel and the original plans. I place the tracing paper between the plan and the foam. I fasten the plan to the foam with short pins and roll the spiked wheel along the lines. Remove the plan and you have small inked holes on the foam , a perfect reproduction of the original. I then used a Stanley to cut along the lines. I suppose with a Fein tool it will be even easier. It works great and cuts out the intermediate template step

Hennie Engelbrecht
Old 05-22-2004, 01:39 AM
89% done 96% to go

yeh, but i am really picky, if you made two with that method, they wouldn't match up, been there, done that. But who says they have to be that precise, just me, for mine.

dust

Old 05-22-2004, 09:45 AM

[ It works great and cuts out the intermediate template step

Hennie Engelbrecht[/quote]

The best part of the template's though is that they are now in circulation amongst the builders and will see LOTS of use before they wear out,,,,,if thats possible!

Donation due: 12/2013
Old 05-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Bulkhead templates...

The squadron agrees....
Quality parts
Made quickly
Jigs made once, many more strakes to come
We stand on the shoulders of giants to reach the stars... quicker

Humbly,
Bowlersaid
Old 05-22-2004, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford

Hennie Engelbrecht
The best part of the template's though is that they are now in circulation amongst the builders and will see LOTS of use before they wear out,,,,,if thats possible! [/quote]

Any one for moving to Malaysia. Have food need labour

Hennie
Old 05-25-2004, 04:48 PM

Default steping stones

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifford

The best part of the template's though is that they are now in circulation amongst the builders and will see LOTS of use before they wear out,,,,,if thats possible!
i dont know if dust told u this but he told me and it made no sence untill i messed up LW...i droped it on the floor and the templet(duble back tape ) fell off and when i put it back over the bulk head to router the rest of it, the part that was allready routerd was close but far from what i would want under my pink parts* i did the traceing thing left and right,but dust would make a good temp from wood( just i side)then lay it over the losely built bulk head,rout out one side then flip the temp over re tape it and rout the other and u can drop it 117 times and the butter never hits the floor MY SHOP floor is litterd with old temptets. if u could..cut your bulk head down the centerline,lay it over it mirror side and u will see...why do mazdas fly with dust on them..humm. "My bucking bar sliped off the back side of the rivit and i got a dent in the skin(only one made for this 747 UPS cargo door opening) so they removed the hole skin and orderd a new one(30k)and yes there was a right up", but u got a bump in the glass,i just grind the sucker off taper hole,lay up that layer plus i inch more then go over it with one inch bigger later same ply's,

"...." plagerrisum from best buddy. Gavin u out there ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDMS0016.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	290  
Old 05-25-2004, 09:19 PM
89% done 96% to go

You got it steve, a little time with a 2 dollar templet for perfect inside and outside radiuses, etc and whalla, produce a part, same left and right, FAST.

Because of this I just don't know if the fein is needed, i know blasphemy

dust

Old 07-23-2004, 08:03 PM
89% done 96% to go

Another method of patter routing that i like used a bushing and the templet is made 1/16 inch larger than the cut area.

here is an example of using it to cut out the window holes in the turtledeck

As you can see the top guide board was continious so that it insured a perfect line.

We used it to cut out 4 windows and the holes really look "laser cut.

set up time took a few minuites but the results were worth it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ready.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	291  Click image for larger version

Name:	router.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	292  Click image for larger version

Name:	routersetup.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	293  Click image for larger version

Name:	cornerdetail.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	294  Click image for larger version

Name:	holes.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	295  

dust

Old 07-23-2004, 08:10 PM
89% done 96% to go

The solid carbide spiral cut bit lasts forever, as long as clifford doesn't get his hands on it to mill aluminum with

The corner pieces were taken from a piece of wood that had a hole cut out of it and pieces of the hole were double stick taped in place
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	more detail.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	296  

dust

Old 08-24-2004, 09:46 AM

Dust pick!