Canard Aviation Forum  

Go Back   Canard Aviation Forum > Chapter Specific comments, questions, tips & tricks > Chap 4 - Bulkheads
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Rich

Default Re: Wrinkle in layup

Other things to use to "Press" the layup are the cutouts that are left by cabinet makers when they cut out kitchen sink holes from counter tops. Perfect size for most procedures that we do needing the "ironing board".

These are usually available cheaply from lumber yards or big box stores. The nice thing about these is that being particle board they are somewhat heavy and one side is laminate--- very smooth.

I got a bunch of them years ago and have used them for many things in the hanger.

As was mentioned before, don't forget the plastic or you will have a very very heavy part.

I used and still use 1ml plastic for virtually everything except table covers. 1 mil doesn't transfer any folds to the part, as well as having other great advantages.

Others are happy with the 4 mil variety
Old 07-24-2012, 02:28 PM

I say scrap it and rebuild the part. I messed up one of my bulkheads and started over. At the time I was pissed off, but I am glad that I started over and made it right. Once finished you will probably flying around in the Cozy for 20 years so you might as well build it to the highest standard of your capability. Foam, fiberglass, and epoxy are expensive but not as costly as having a finished product that disappoints.

Currently flying a 1966 Piper Cherokee 180, but I promise that I will not stop building.

http://www.mykitlog.com/crazycanuck/
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&id=907540645
Old 07-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Well, I tried the hair dryer Sunday night and got the wrinkle softened up a little, so I put flat boards over it and clamped it down tight. When I pulled the boards the next day, I found that I had mostly just pushed the wrinkle deeper into the foam. I decided to just bite the bullet and sand the wrinkle down flat. I'll be trying to lay up a patch this weekend. If it looks good, I think I'm ok. If not, it's time to scrap and start over.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egstrong View Post
Well, I tried the hair dryer Sunday night and got the wrinkle softened up a little, so I put flat boards over it and clamped it down tight. When I pulled the boards the next day, I found that I had mostly just pushed the wrinkle deeper into the foam. I decided to just bite the bullet and sand the wrinkle down flat. I'll be trying to lay up a patch this weekend. If it looks good, I think I'm ok. If not, it's time to scrap and start over.
i see you have spots, and in the pic just before it on your web page you have a dry lay up. without reading the book, most if not all are bid and uni are 90 deg from each other( your photo dose not depict that) any way, wet out the parts (no white any where) then with a plastic bond blade milk the resin to the sides(a little heat will help) do not put peel-ply over a hot layup....it will blister every time. wait for it to cool. rule of thump is if the peel ply will not wet out you could have a dry layup. if it sinks down under the resin you have a wet lay up.
when it is dry you should never see white. have a grate build. looking very good.