Canard Aviation Forum  

Go Back   Canard Aviation Forum > Plane Specific Questions Tips, Tricks Area for All Canard Kits and Plans Planes > Velocity Specific Q&A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Got Foam?

Default Re: N951TM: Velocity Restoration

I picked up my hydraulic cylinders this afternoon.
All three have been rebuilt and will be going back into the plane this weekend.

I can't begin to express how huge this is. They are very difficult to get at as well as get out. This is the one task I really did not want to do but it had to be done.

I picked up a soda blaster Tuesday and blasted the entire interior of my sump tank. This is in preparation to coat the interior with Rhino Novalac as a fuel resistant barrier. My Vinyl Ester tank should be plenty resistant as is but I'm a belt & suspenders kind of guy.

I only want to do this once.

I'll use the same prep on my vent manifold prior to final assembly. Once the fuel system is done, it will be time to make some noise.
EAA #390365
Got Foam?
Mann's Airplane Factory
We add rocket's to everything!
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 13, 14, 19, 20 DONE
Old 09-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Got Foam?

I installed two of the hydraulic cylinders installed (9/16-17) with the exception of the bolt that anchors the nose gear cylinder inside the keel.For the life of me, I could not find it and of course I didn't have that size.
..... so I placed an order with Spruce and was all ready to go this weekend (9/23.)
I started by installing the last cylinder for the nose gear doors which was right in stride with the rest of the experience.
When I went back to put that last bolt inside the keel, I found the missing bolt. I had put down a scrap of wing foam to use as a pad and the bolt had embedded itself into it. Once I moved the foam there was the telltale thud of the bolt falling to the floor.

No way I could get that last bolt lined up with the angle brackets so I decided to remove the brackets from the floor, install the bolt and then reattach the bracket to the floor.
Easier said than done .....
The phillips screw heads were stripped so I had to drill 3 of them out. So I dig through my inventory and find two. :-(
Did I mention I put in an order for more from Aircraft Spruce? Should be here Thursday.

As long as I have these out, I'm going to fabricate new brackets out of some angle and space the bolt holes such that they don't interfere with the through bolt. Anchor nuts will be installed as well making it a one man job vs. one man and a vice grips.

The point here is when you are putting together any plane, think about what It's going to take to maintain it and go through the steps necessary to make access at least reasonable.
EAA #390365
Got Foam?
Mann's Airplane Factory
Old 09-25-2017, 08:31 PM
Got Foam?

A comparison of the replacement bracket (left) and the original bracket that was removed from the plane.
Check out the areas identified on the original bracket. It's crazy that anyone would screw up such a simple part and not go through the effort of fixing it.

It really pays to drill down to this detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NoseCylinder_Bracket.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	7825  
EAA #390365
Got Foam?
Mann's Airplane Factory
Old 09-25-2017, 11:09 PM
Bill Welter

Tom, its a good thing you got in there, those old brackets look terrible! Once you run yours on the round part of the belt sander they will look great!
Old 09-26-2017, 03:44 AM
Go fast or go RV

What parts of the original airframe are you keeping?

It is satisfying to see good work replacing not so good work.
X-plane (Flight simulator) Flight Model Master - X-Aerodynamics
Old 09-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Got Foam?

Thanks. It is such a tight area that I have to keep convincing myself to give it another try....
I knew this was going to be a PIA but I am getting closer.
EAA #390365
Got Foam?
Mann's Airplane Factory
Old 09-26-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMann View Post
I installed two of the hydraulic cylinders installed (9/16-17) with the exception of the bolt that anchors the nose gear cylinder inside the keel.For the life of me, I could not find it and of course I didn't have that size.
..... so I placed an order with Spruce and was all ready to go this weekend (9/23.)

This sounds just like my performance!!!

I started by installing the last cylinder for the nose gear doors which was right in stride with the rest of the experience.
When I went back to put that last bolt inside the keel, I found the missing bolt. I had put down a scrap of wing foam to use as a pad and the bolt had embedded itself into it. Once I moved the foam there was the telltale thud of the bolt falling to the floor.

Ditto!

No way I could get that last bolt lined up with the angle brackets so I decided to remove the brackets from the floor, install the bolt and then reattach the bracket to the floor.
Easier said than done .....

Ditto!

The phillips screw heads were stripped so I had to drill 3 of them out. So I dig through my inventory and find two. :-(
Did I mention I put in an order for more from Aircraft Spruce? Should be here Thursday.

Ditto!

As long as I have these out, I'm going to fabricate new brackets out of some angle and space the bolt holes such that they don't interfere with the through bolt. Anchor nuts will be installed as well making it a one man job vs. one man and a vice grips.

The point here is when you are putting together any plane, think about what It's going to take to maintain it and go through the steps necessary to make access at least reasonable.
Ditto!

Rebuilding is like that. Ageing is no help either. I have concluded that it is more confusing and difficult to stay on track in a rebuild than the original build.

I've given up on a rotary engine and have now had the TIO-320-B1A on and off 10 times. It is still not on for the last time. I'm installing a controllable prop and the control unit blocks the left aileron control rod. My friendly machinist is milling a U from original stock to be inserted at that point in the control rod. He has 3 computerized mills. They all broke down. He replaced the newest one that wouldn't do a perfect circle. He has had my control rod for 3 months. I have to remove the engine to re-install it whenever I get it back.

Misery likes company!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:35 PM
Got Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred N. View Post
Misery likes company!
Agreed. Not only do you have to re-build it but you have to remove the bad stuff first. Double the work.
EAA #390365
Got Foam?
Mann's Airplane Factory