Canard Aviation Forum  

Go Back   Canard Aviation Forum > Chapter Specific comments, questions, tips & tricks > Chap 28 - Flight Testing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2015, 06:28 PM
Owner 323composites.com

Default Cabin Heat BTU's

Hey guys, does anyone have a successful in-cabin oil cooler setup that works really well for cabin heat on cold days? I'm hunting a specific BTU output. I saw Waiter had a SW cooler in the nose that worked REALLY Well down to -5 F. I don't think that cooler puts out more than 700 BTU's though.

Chime in. Thanks!
-Colossians 3:23-
Old 10-16-2015, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Cabin Heat BTU's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenatepilot View Post
Hey guys, does anyone have a successful in-cabin oil cooler setup that works really well for cabin heat on cold days? I'm hunting a specific BTU output. I saw Waiter had a SW cooler in the nose that worked REALLY Well down to -5 F. I don't think that cooler puts out more than 700 BTU's though.
A BTU is a unit of energy, not power. How long it takes to get 700 BTU's is what's important here. Get it in a millisecond, and you'll melt. Take an hour to get it, and you might not notice that it's there.

The Stewart Warner Oil Cooler that you're referencing probably has an output of 700 BTU/min, or 42,000 BTU/hr, or 12,309 Watts. That's the equivalent of 10 hair dryers. _IF_ you can move enough air through it, that's WAY more than enough heat.

The most important factor in how well your heater works (any type of heater) is how well you've sealed the plane for air leaks. If you've got leaks, nothing's going to help.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Owner 323composites.com

This calculator may be optimistic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	61
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	7629  
Old 10-17-2015, 12:48 AM
N14ZG reserved

Quote:
This calculator may be optimistic.
Valid, if your sidewalls are 3.5" thick, studs (foam? longeron?) are on 16" centers, double pane canopy...

Some data to pour over:
http://173.13.41.180/positechonline/universal.htm
http://www.setrabusa.com/pdf/Applica...ons_112610.pdf

FWIW, a 'standard' hot water single tube baseboard radiator puts out ~500 BTU/hr per foot.

Rick
Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; my canard at: http://cozy.zggtr.org/ My hobby at www.zggtr.org/
Build status: It flies! Airworthiness 10/7/2016.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:20 AM
Owner 323composites.com

Whelp, I took the plunge and ordered 2 Hornet Heaters for the ez. We'll see if 1400 BTU's keeps the toes warm...among other things. ;0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hornet.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	486.3 KB
ID:	7630  
Old 10-17-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Whelp, I took the plunge and ordered 2 Hornet Heaters for the ez. We'll see if 1400 BTU's keeps the toes warm...among other things. ;0
None of the heaters shown on that web page put out 1400 BTU/hr - where did you get that #? The largest heater they have is 300 watts, AFAICT, and even two of those (the twin version) will only be 600 watts. Since Bill Theeringer used to sell a 1500 watt heater for EZ's, and since it was marginal at best in even a well sealed EZ, I'd say that 600 watts will be even more marginal.

Not to mention that making heat from electricity requires a BIG alternator - with a 12V system, 600W will require 50A. Even 300W (which will be useless) will require 25A, so the rest of your electrical draw better be pretty low, or you better have a VERY large alternator.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Owner 323composites.com

We shall see
Old 10-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Got Foam?

My only thought is that with all of the heat energy that is generated by your power plant, how hard have you looked at transferring some of that to the cabin?
There have been many builders that have tried various methods successfully but as stated earlier, job one is stopping the air infiltration.
EAA #390365
Got Foam?
Mann's Airplane Factory
We add rocket's to everything!
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 13, 14, 19, 20 DONE
Old 10-18-2015, 12:03 AM

So Nate, your engine has a 50 amp alternator and these heaters are each 200w...which will require 33 amps at 12v. Leaving you a whopping 17 amps for all the other stuff (like ignition, EFI, avionics). But I guess if you need warm feet you can selectively shut down some of that other stuff. Then maybe turn off the heater before you key the mic.

But seriously...there was a discussion not long ago on the Yahoo site regarding this and somebody (Nick Ugolini maybe?) posted a DIY using an oil cooler. Best to utilize heat you're trying to eliminate anyway, and your engine is by far your best source of it.

B&M sells a couple of different oil coolers w/ mounted fans.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:02 PM

Hate to bring this up but....
You can put the heat where it is needed. I use an electric motorcycle vest, it draws about 8 amps, is not that bulky, is cheep (relative to aircraft parts) and works well.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:33 PM

I placed a second oil cooler in the hell hole of my Longez. Using a marine blower set up for two speed. Can be seen on www.longez209.com. Works great.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:42 PM

I looked into this after inheriting a 12v ceramic heater setup intend for the project I acquired and realized the only viable electric heat is in the seats where 50 watts of heat would be a gracious plenty.
Cozy Mk IV Plans #1147 for sale
Engine/Avionics/Paint to be completed
Old 10-19-2015, 02:06 AM
Owner 323composites.com

The Heaters I've ordered Put out a total of almost 1400BTU's per the manufacture. I'm testing them for the company as an EZ solution. IF they prove to be more than enough for my "feet" then I will most likely install the smaller 8 amp versions. I've flown in 19 degree OAT for up to 3 hours with just heated seats and feel great not including my feet. The goal here is warm feet without draining the battery or running oil lines into the cabin.

My VPX Pro shows a MAX AMP Draw of 33 amps with every single electric thing in the airplane fired up (Minus PTT). Most of the time it hovers around 23 amps. Funny, I've never needed the "high" setting on the heated seats so they only draw about 2.4 amps per seat

With the 32 amps of Cabin Heaters blasting, that puts me at 55amps. Not bad for short intervals using the big ones. Ideally I'll only need the 8 amp versions and can run them the entire flight.

UL Power is finished tuning my engine computer so I will be able to test fly the setup in less than 3 weeks from now. I'll post the results
Old 10-19-2015, 10:30 AM
Got Foam?

Quote:
IF they prove to be more than enough for my "feet" then I will most likely install the smaller 8 amp versions.
Do you understand HOW your feet (and hands) get cold in the first place?
This happens as a result of a drop in your core temperature. If you can keep the core warm, the rest will follow. If the core cools off then the body starts shutting down blood flow to the extremities.

This is why the heated seats, vests etc. work. I would suggest the following approach for heating this Styrofoam envelope:
  • Cut down on air infiltration.
  • Scavenge heat from the engine via either a heat muff or remote oil cooler.
  • Install seat heaters.

If you accomplish this you will have a warm ride in colder climes.

..... now about how to handle hot days ......
EAA #390365
Got Foam?
Mann's Airplane Factory
We add rocket's to everything!
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 13, 14, 19, 20 DONE
Old 10-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Owner 323composites.com

lol. I know people who sit inside a warm house under a blanket in the middle of summer and have cold feet.

I've got heated seats. follow the above posts.