Canard Aviation Forum  

Go Back   Canard Aviation Forum > Chapter Specific comments, questions, tips & tricks > Chap 19 - Wings & Ailerons
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2017, 08:32 PM

Default Aileron inboard cut line

In Cozy plans Chapter 19 Page 8, figure 46 shows where the aileron is cut out of the wing. The drawing has an additional line and arrow near the inboard bottom cut line. (In the attached picture, I've colored it for contrast).
What is the significance of the extra arrow/line?

Joe Polenek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	7827  
Cozy MkIV #1550
Old 11-25-2017, 09:37 PM
Bill Welter

Default Re: Aileron inboard cut line

The edge of the foam joint is at an angle to the TE. The line indicated shows to cut the aileron at a 90 degree angle to the TE instead of following the angled foam joint. The other end of the aileron doesn't have a joint, and is also cut at 90 degrees to the TE.

Some builders have cut the aileron ends at a 67 degree (to the LE) angle in preparation for mounting aileron fences, which are parallel to the center line of the fuselage. Makes mounting the aileron fences much easier to the wings. This is the same angle as the vortilons as shown in the Roncz canard plans.

When measuring for the cut the length of the aileron, measure carefully the top and underside also, these measurements are critical. The top edge is where the hinges mount, and the bottom edge is where the counterweight rod mounts.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:28 AM
N14ZG reserved

It's magic!

Consider a right triangle. The top cut line struck at 5.9" on a hypotenuse thingy, the bottom is cut on a 7.6" hypotenuse thingy. They won't line up.

Make the ailerons the same, attaching the winglets is based off this.

I had the same issue, as I suspect most builders do. See my notes, with pix, at http://cozy.zggtr.org/chap19/

Rick
Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; my canard at: http://cozy.zggtr.org/ My hobby at www.zggtr.org/
Build status: It flies! Airworthiness 10/7/2016.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:33 AM

Ok, it all makes sense that the top surface of the wing is cut differently than the bottom, given the aileron cross-section weíre trying to achieve. But this doesnít explain the additional line in the bottom drawing which runs parallel to the actual cut line, or the second arrow pointing to it at the trailing edge.
Iíve attached a portion of the drawing that further zooms in on this area. The colored arrow and line are the ones Iím talking about. (They are black in the plans but Iíve colored them for clarity). Do everyone elseís plans have this additional line and arrow? What do they mean?

Joe Polenek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	7828  
Cozy MkIV #1550

Last edited by jpolenek : 11-26-2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-26-2017, 12:15 PM
N14ZG reserved

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolenek View Post
... Iíve attached a portion of the drawing that further zooms in on this area. The colored arrow and line are the ones Iím talking about. (They are black in the plans but Iíve colored them for clarity). Do everyone elseís plans have this additional line and arrow? What do they mean?

Joe Polenek
Thinking... Could this red line have been a hidden or phantom line when the plans were first drawn? Over time, and probably several copies of copies, the line ended up solid.

It does show on my 8.5x11 PDF chapter plans. My official Cozy4 plans are at airport, I'll take a peek at them later today.

Rick
Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; my canard at: http://cozy.zggtr.org/ My hobby at www.zggtr.org/
Build status: It flies! Airworthiness 10/7/2016.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZG4Me View Post
Could this red line have been a hidden or phantom line when the plans were first drawn?
Yeah, that was my initial thought. However...
  1. The top and bottom chord-wise cuts (i.e. ends of the aileron) should essentially line up in plan view. But this extra line looks like itís offset by about 1".
  2. Even if it was a hidden line representing the cut on the other side, it wouldnít be parallel. The lines would converge at the trailing edge and obviate the need for that second arrow.
  3. There is no corresponding 'extra' line in the top view.

Joe Polenek
Cozy MkIV #1550
Old 11-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolenek View Post
In Cozy plans Chapter 19 Page 8, figure 46 shows where the aileron is cut out of the wing. The drawing has an additional line and arrow near the inboard bottom cut line. (In the attached picture, I've colored it for contrast).
What is the significance of the extra arrow/line?
It's bad drafting of a hidden line. The solid line and the one you've highlighted MUST meet at the TE - there's no way that the "same point" note can make any sense. It's just an indication that the top and bottom cuts don't start in the same place, but obviously they HAVE to end in the same place at the TE.

Bad drafting is all.