Canard Aviation Forum  

Go Back   Canard Aviation Forum > Chapter Specific comments, questions, tips & tricks > Chap 7 - Fuselage exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Default How to glass this area?

I'm confused about how to glass this area.

[IMG][/IMG]

The instructions (corrected) say to "and taper the foam down to where it is removed along the longeron and LWY so the glass will conform"

But the instructions also say, after the sides are glassed that the only place where foam is exposed is at the canard cut out in the front, and at the rear spar cut out.

So am I supposed to

1) Take the glass down the taper on the foam all the way down to the longeron and LWY,
2) cover the longeron and LWY
3) Cut the glass short so that foam is exposed?

I'm wondering if this matters at all. I suspect this entire area gets glassed over when the spar is attached.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:19 PM

Default Re: How to glass this area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post
I'm wondering if this matters at all. I suspect this entire area gets glassed over when the spar is attached.
Yep, no need to do anything else until the centerspar is installed. As I recall, I had foam and glass at the top and bottom of the "C" cutout in your photo but if needed, it will be easy to add some foam there when installing the centerspar.

BTW, BLS, I like to know who I'm talking to. Suggest using a signature block. Become a member of the family.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 PM

Thanks. The removal of the foam along the longeron and LWY was a late plans change. (see http://cozybuilders.org/newsletters/MKIV_corr_TE.html) I don't think its critical, because I believe many are flying without it being this way.

So I think I'll just cut the cloth short and not go down into the taper to the longeron and LWY. If anyone disagrees, I'd love to hear from you!

Signature & avatar added.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:07 PM

What happened to my signature?

Now its added...
N9612S Vans RV-9A - Built, flown, sold
N9924A Cessna 182 - Current Spam
Old 05-24-2012, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks. The removal of the foam along the longeron and LWY was a late plans change. (see http://cozybuilders.org/newsletters/MKIV_corr_TE.html) I don't think its critical, because I believe many are flying without it being this way.

So I think I'll just cut the cloth short and not go down into the taper to the longeron and LWY. If anyone disagrees, I'd love to hear from you!
The plans change for a reason. If I were you, I'd do what the plans say. Just because aircraft were built one way doesn't mean that it isn't better to do it the plans way. And in this case, it is. A big deal? No, not huge. But when you get in the habit of ignoring structural decisions by the aircraft designer, you end up asking for trouble, eventually.

And as an aside, please check your spam folder for the invitation from the COZY mailing list - sbcglobal has a nasty habit of filtering google invitations as spam. If you don't reply, you won't have full mailing list privileges.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
But when you get in the habit of ignoring structural decisions by the aircraft designer, you end up asking for trouble, eventually.
I think that's a slight mischaracterization of what I'm doing. I'm not ignoring structural decisions -- I raised this question because trying to figure out what the instructions & the correction are saying to do.

What do you think is appropriate? Do you think the glass used to cover the sides should also cover the LWY and longeron?
N9612S Vans RV-9A - Built, flown, sold
N9924A Cessna 182 - Current Spam
Old 05-24-2012, 11:18 AM
N513DP Cozy540

Round the top foam and glass up and over. As an aside, it makes sense to tie it together. My .02

Website; www.vipercozy540.weebly.com

Dont watch the tele...get off that couch and build on your flying future.=)
Old 05-24-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
What do you think is appropriate? Do you think the glass used to cover the sides should also cover the LWY and longeron?
What the plans change is saying is that the foam on the upper longeron forward of the spar cutout should be tapered down so that the fuselage side layup can smoothly transition from the foam forward of the spar cutout down to the longeron. The same goes for the foam ON LWY - remove it below the spar cutout completely, and then taper the foam around it so that the fiberglass of the fuselage sides can smoothly transition onto the LWY. The object is to tie the fiberglass on the outside of the fuselage to the longeron and LWY.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 PM

I'm a ways away from mounting the spar but I've been reading ahead and this is kind of hard to visualize. Anyone out there have a good photo that shows what this should look like?

Cozy MkIV Plans #0158

Working on Chapter 8 - Started 07/30/2014
Chapter 7 - Completed 07/27/2014
Chapter 6 - Completed 01/13/2013
Chapter 5 - Completed 07/26/2010
Chapter 4 - Sometime before I set this .sig
Old 05-24-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator_edb View Post
I'm a ways away from mounting the spar but I've been reading ahead and this is kind of hard to visualize. Anyone out there have a good photo that shows what this should look like?
See:

http://www.ez.org/pages/bsiu/

under the:

Sanding Fuselage Aft End

section. Read the [Hindsight] part as well.