Canard Aviation Forum  

Go Back   Canard Aviation Forum > Firewall Backward and Forward > Rotary discussion group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2016, 07:14 PM

Default To rotary engine users

Note: Over the years, I have posted frequently on this site. I'm not building a Cozy and most likely never will. Nevertheless, if I did, the Mazda rotary engine holds a lot of appeal. Eventually, Mazda may come out with the next version , the 16-X, which promises to be a great power plant. Unfortunately, Tracy
Crook's PSRU is no longer available. The Ballistic Drive unit looks like an excellent replacement. Here's the question. The Ballistic drive unit is not co-axial with the engine's output shaft. The propeller shaft looks like it's 4 or 5 inches higher than the engine shaft. Would this change in thrust line affect the aircraft flight characteristics, therefore requiring positioning the engine 4 or five inches lower? Just wondering
Old 07-10-2016, 11:28 PM
Flying TurboRotaryCozyIV

Default Re: To rotary engine users

I expect it would be difficult to lower the engine much and still get good cooling airflow, but I guess it could be lowered half of the displacement, such that the prop was 2 inches higher than stock. I don't think that would create too much of a thrust vector, but I don't KNOW this for a fact. Lowering the prop instead of raising may be impractical because of prop clearance. Honestly, these are just guesses. An engineer must do the calculations and come up with the impact in terms of torque and it's effect on take-off/climb etc. Something like this is not "a suck it and see issue" IMHO.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:09 AM

Thanks for reply:
Sounds like an engineer would have to calculate this. If the Ballistic Drive unit is so correct for this application, how would you adapt it? Just a rhetorical question.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Bill Welter

If a person has already built a canard plane, the he already has the skills and thought processes necessary to adapt the redrive to any engine.

Get the input shaft hub from the redrive manufacturer and have them machine the crank bolt holes for you. Build the adapter plate and necessary spacers. It wont be easy, but it can be done. Measure carefully and expect to make a few test adapter plates from thin aluminum to get everything just right. Then have the real one CNC'ed. The redrive manufacturer will have blueprints you can use for reference.

Like the rest of the plane, it's not easy, but not impossible either

Last edited by LEZ1675 : 07-11-2016 at 08:48 PM.