Canard Aviation Forum  

Go Back   Canard Aviation Forum > Landing Gear, Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Bill Welter

Default Tow Point ? Advice Needed

I just moved to a hangar that has a steep ramp, and I can barely push the plane up into the hangar, so I need to make a winch contraption and figure out the best place for a tow hook.

I wanted to have this also be steerable if possible. I thought of make thin tabs under the 1/4" axle bolt head and nut, but was afraid of stressing that.

I tried pulling from the foot that attaches to the nose gear NG15A and that worked OK but not steerable. Also, I could make a hook attached to the LG pivot NG6 front plate, but not steerable.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 07-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Rich

Default Re: Tow Point ? Advice Needed

Good idea not to use that point for anything other than steering.

There was a long discussion about this problem on, I believe, Marc's list. One of the solutions was to move the attachment point upward on the gear leg. Other suggestions involved a powered truck device (using Harbor freight winch motors) into which the grazing nose would ride which brought the aircraft in or out of the hanger.

I sympathize with your problem. My hanger is relatively level with the ground and apron but it seems to be changing-- or perhaps as I get more "mature" the task becomes harder. At this point I am just pushing the protect in and out of the hanger so that sanding dust does not accumulate on my floor.

One thing that may make it easier for you is to make sure that your tires are inflated to maximum permissible. A low inflation causes incredibly increased rolling resistance.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Eracer MKII

I made a temporary tow point that fits to the strut just above where the shock strut attaches. I made it out of pieces of 2x4 that fit snugly around the sides and the back of the strut so it does not contact the strut cover. The wood extends out each side to clear the strut cover and each wood extension has a metal ring attached for a rope loop. A small rope holds the tow point to the shock strut so it won't fall off. I was able to tow it slowly over grass and it caused no damage to the strut.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:09 AM
Bill Welter

Thanks all for the advice.

I made a small tab on the front of the shock mount (NG3) that pokes through the LG cover, works like a charm!